Reasons To Volunteer
Remaining active and involved is essential to enjoying life after retirement. Volunteering is highly satisfying work that makes a huge difference in the lives of others.
Nearly all of our programs offer opportunities to be involved through active volunteering. Some programs, such as Transportation assistance, require an initial screening process, while others begin by completing an application and following through by contacting the program’s director who will call you for an interview.
Come in and talk with us about volunteering, about getting involved and whatever level you have the time and inclination for. And if you’re a mid-phase senior trying to pretend that you’ll never grow old, then give yourself the gift of dispelling your own myths.
We are currently seeking volunteers in the following areas. If interested, please call the South Whidbey Center to let them know you are interested in volunteering.
Time Together Adult Day Program
If you volunteer for the Time Together Adult Day Program, you get to spend 4 and a half hours each week with amazing folks who may be facing difficult challenges associated with aging, developmental disabilities or other cognitive or physical disabilities. The volunteer role is a support role where your focus is on helping participants have an amazing day. You might assist in activities, help folks get from place to place, or just spend some quality time discussing really interesting topics in ways where everyone can engage. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you might laugh so much that you cry! We have a lot of fun at Time Together and our volunteers are an inspirational group, who help make this beloved program a success for everyone who attends. If you can imagine yourself as a Time Together volunteer, give Mel Watson a call at 360-321-1623.
Outreach and Fundraising
Are you creative or a great organizer? We need both kinds of people to help with outreach and fundraising activities. Right now, we need someone to assist with flier design, coordinate delivery of Island Times to local retailers each month (on south Whidbey, mileage is reimbursed). We also need help with organizational tasks related to fundraising events. This involves approximately 2-3 half days each month. You will need knowledge of Microsoft Word, email, and Publisher. If you’d like to learn more, call Robin Bush at (360) 331-5709.
Transport seniors to and from medical appointments or help with essential errands for groceries, post office, drug stores, and banks. Drivers drive as far south as Seattle, and as far north as Bellingham. Make new friends while offering a much appreciated and highly needed service.
When you drive others, you provide not only transportation, but a chance to socialize, and help those who can not normally get out and about.
Mileage is reimbursed, and you receive a discount card for purchases at Senior Thrift.
To be a volunteer you must have:
- No moving violations in the past year, or serious at accidents at any time
- A valid Washington driver’s license
- Current Insurance coverage
- Current vehicle registration
- Be over 25 years of age
- Have a friendly outgoing personality
Volunteers are accepted contingent on the results of the following:
- A WATCH background check
- Fingerprints processed with WHP
- Driving record check from Olympia
- Be willing to sign a Mandatory Reporting form
Please help us feed our homebound Seniors! Volunteer drivers use their own vehicles to transport hot lunches to participants throughout Island County. Drivers are reimbursed for mileage at 45 cents per mile. Make a senior smile! Deliver hot meals in your area on any Monday, Wednesday, or Friday. Pick up meals at one of our 4 centers in Island County area between 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. Delivery takes about an hour and a half to 2 hours.
- Requirements: must be 18 years old, have a valid driver’s license, supply your own vehicle, have current auto insurance, and pass state background check with WSP. Commitment for minimum of 3 months.
- Hours: 10:30 a.m. until noon at Bayview Site, 11:30 AM until 1:00PM.at Coupeville Site, 11:45AM until 1:30PM at Oak Harbor Site. 11:00AM- 1:00PM at the Camano Center.
Perfect for businesses, church groups and service clubs that can commit to providing Meals-On-Wheels drivers for one route, one day a week for an entire year or longer.
- Requirements: Two people weekly to deliver a regular Meals-On-Wheels route. At least one volunteer must be at least 18 years old, have a valid driver’s license, provide their own vehicle and have current auto insurance: must pass state background check with WSP. Commitment minimum for 1 year or longer.
- Hours: 10:30 a.m. until noon at Bayview Site, 11:30AM until 1:00PM at Coupeville Site, 11:45AM until 1:30PM at Oak Harbor Site 11:00AM – 12:30PM at the Camano Center.
Volunteer Meal Site Helper or Meal Site Coordinator
Help to pack meals in coolers for Meals-On-Wheels drivers before they arrive. At dining room sites, make coffee, set tables, serve lunches, and help clean up. A meal site coordinator prepares site for serving lunch, assure good food quality, checks temperatures, bookkeeping, counting donations, and some recordkeeping.
- Requirements: must be at least 14 years old and pass state background check with WSP. Commitment for minimum of 3 months.
- Hours: Flexible shifts from 8 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.
Meal Site Greeter
Orient new participants to the center and the meals program. Warmly welcome and help them feel at home in a new setting and introduce to other diners.
- Requirements: likes to meet new people and like social networking. Commitment for minimum of 3 months.
- Hours: 11AM – 12:30AM
Family Caregiver Support
Looking for a volunteer “Powerful Tools For Caregivers” facilitator. We would like a volunteer trainer to co-teach our 6 week class once per quarter. The class itself is 2 hours long + setup/cleanup.
- Requirements: Experience as a family caregiver or experience in social work is helpful.
Help others to understand Medicare, connect with your community, and meet new friends! We offer volunteer positions for all interests and schedules.
- Requirements: No experience necessary, we will train.
Let Us Know You Are Interested In Volunteering
Tell us a little about yourself – call the South Whidbey Center to let them know you are interested in volunteering. Once we receive your information, we’ll contact you shortly to discuss volunteer opportunities.