Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors (SHIBA)
SHIBA is a state-funded program sponsored by Island Senior Resources, under the guidance of the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner
Do you need help understanding Medicare?
We can help you learn the rules of Medicare for yourself or a loved one. Trained volunteers provide objective information about Medicare and other medical options in individual consultations by phone or email and Zoom classes.
- Information on enrollment, costs and benefits, prescription coverage, low-income assistance
- Unbiased and confidential
- SHIBA volunteers do not choose plans for you, you choose!
- No house-calls
- Webinars take place regularly; Call to inquire for upcoming dates
- Anyone eligible for or currently enrolled in Medicare
- Anyone who needs to know more about Medicare and related programs
- Free; however, donations are always appreciated.
Webinar – Getting Ready for Medicare
If you are going on Medicare and/or are wanting to know more about Medicare, attend a “Getting Ready for Medicare” seminar on Zoom, offered by SHIBA (Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors) volunteers. Counselors will answer brief questions following the seminars. Seminars run 1 -1.5 hours. Be sure to register.
Information will be provided about:
- “Basic” Medicare benefits
- Options for additional insurance(s)
- Medicare parts A and B The differences between “Medigap” (supplemental) insurance and Advantage plans
- Benefits and rates
- Information on financial assistance for qualifying low-income individuals
- Prescription drug plans. (If you want help with your drug plan, we will tell you how to get it).
Register in advance for the online session you want to attend.
Contact us to schedule a phone consultation or help in registering for a webinar. Call 360-321-1600, 360-678-3373 ext 0, or send an online request.