Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors (SHIBA)
SHIBA is a partially state-funded program sponsored by Island Senior Resources, under the guidance of the Washington State Office of the Insurance commissioner
We provide community members with free, unbiased, and confidential Medicare education and health insurance options.
We can help you learn the rules of Medicare for yourself or a loved one. Trained volunteers provide objective information about Medicare and other medical options in individual consultations or classes (see Webinar discussion below).
- Information on enrollment, costs and benefits, prescription coverage, low-income assistance
- Unbiased and confidential information. SHIBA volunteers do not choose plans for you, you choose!
ISR's SHIBA Advisors are here for you!
What we do for you
Our Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors (SHIBA) help people understand Medicare rights and options. Our well-trained volunteers counsel people about their Medicare choices and options.
Our SHIBA volunteers assist people through in-person and virtual one-to-one counseling via video chat or phone. They answer Medicare questions, and help evaluate and compare health insurance policies so people can make informed decisions to find the best possible coverage that meets their needs and fits their budgets. Volunteers can also help screen to see if people qualify for low-income programs to save money on Medicare coverage.
- Anyone eligible for or currently enrolled in Medicare
- Anyone who needs to know more about Medicare and related programs
- Free; however, donations are always appreciated as state funding does not cover the full cost of the program.
- Whidbey Island residents call us at 360-321-1600 to schedule a consultation.
- Camano residents call SHIBA at 425-290-1276 https://www.edmondswaterfrontcenter.org/ewc-programs/shiba/
Completely FREE and confidential: We keep your personal information safe.
Objective and unbiased: We don’t sell or endorse anything.
SHIBA advisors can help with…
Low-income programs to help pay for Medicare
Medigap (Medicare Supplement) plans
Medicare Advantage plans
Medicare fraud and abuse
Issues with Medicare fraud
ISR’s Medicare Information Sessions from SHIBA
- These webinars happen throughout the year. Some are in-person and some are offered on Zoom. Check our calendar page (here).
- Register in advance for the session you want to attend by calling 360-321-1600.
Getting Ready for Medicare
If you are going on Medicare and/or are wanting to know more about Medicare, attend a free “Getting Ready for Medicare” seminar offered by SHIBA (Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors) volunteers.
Next classes are:
Wednesday, February 21 at 1 p.m. in-person at Island Senior Resources, Bayview, 14594 SR 525, Langley
Tuesday, March 12 at 1 p.m. in-person at The Center in Oak Harbor, 51 SE Jerome St Oak Harbor
Wednesday, April 17 at 1 p.m. in-person at Island Senior Resources, Bayview, 14594 SR 525, Langley
Tuesday, May 14 at 10 a.m. in-person at The Center in Oak Harbor, 51 SE Jerome St, Oak Harbor
Using Medicare’s Planfinder
This session focuses on how to use Medicare’s Planfinder so you can find the best drug plan and/or Medicare Advantage plan that meets your needs. We will cover how to find much of the ‘hidden’ information as well as information about the supplement plans. We will also share how to find the information you are looking for.
Next classes: Call to inquire
Are you enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan? Is your current plan working for you? If you are dissatisfied for any reason and want to change plans, attend one of these sessions.
Next classes are:
Tuesday, February 13 at 10 a.m. in-person at The Center in Oak Harbor 51 SE Jerome St, Oak Harbor
Thursday, February 15 at 1 p.m. in-person at Island Senior Resources Bayview, 14594 SR 525, Langley
Informational Videos on Medicare
- When working with the SHIBA team: the Medicare Part D drug worksheet.
- Unbiased Medicare advice: What to know about SHIP programs. Fortune Well. (Note – SHIPS is called SHIBA in Washington state)
- See if you qualify for a Medicare Savings Program: Learn More.
- BROCHURE: Get help paying for Medicare – See if you qualify for a Medicare savings program and/or extra help
- BOOKLET: Paying for prescription drugs
- BOOKLET: What you need to know about Medigap (Medicare Supplement) plans
- BROCHURE: About Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors (SHIBA)
- CHECKLIST: Your SHIBA Medicare action plan
- FLYER: Get help paying for Medicare – Information for American Indians and Alaskan Natives
- FLYER: Medicare and COVID-19 vaccine scams
- FLYER: Stop Medicare Fraud
- FLYER: Watch out for scam calls
- Your Medicare coverage choices
- 2023 Medicare hospital insurance (Part A) covered services
- 2023 Medicare Part D stand-alone prescription drug plans
- July – September 2023 Approved Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plans
- 2023 Medicare Advantage Plans, Island County
- Comparing Medicare supplement (Medigap) and Medicare Advantage plans
- 10 Standardized Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plans