Reasons To Volunteer
Remaining active and involved is essential to enjoying life after retirement. Volunteering is highly satisfying work that makes a huge difference in the lives of others.
Nearly all of our programs offer opportunities to be involved through active volunteering. Some programs, such as Transportation assistance, require an initial screening process, while others begin by completing an application and following through by contacting the program’s director who will call you for an interview.
Come in and talk with us about volunteering, about getting involved and whatever level you have the time and inclination for. And if you’re a mid-phase senior trying to pretend that you’ll never grow old, then give yourself the gift of dispelling your own myths.
View this short video to learn about the many benefits of being a volunteer.
We are currently seeking volunteers in the following areas. If interested, simply fill-out & submit the online form below or call the South Whidbey Center to let them know you are interested in volunteering.
Please help us feed our homebound Seniors! Volunteer drivers use their own vehicles to transport hot lunches to participants throughout Island County. Drivers are reimbursed for mileage at 45 cents per mile. Make a senior smile! Deliver hot meals in your area on any Monday, Wednesday, or Friday. Pick up meals at one of our 4 centers in Island County area between 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. Delivery takes about an hour and a half to 2 hours.
- Requirements: must be 18 years old, have a valid driver’s license, supply your own vehicle, have current auto insurance, and pass state background check with WSP. Commitment for minimum of 3 months.
- Hours: 10:30 a.m. until noon at Bayview Site, 11:30 AM until 1:00PM.at Coupeville Site, 11:45AM until 1:30PM at Oak Harbor Site. 11:00AM- 1:00PM at the Camano Center.
Perfect for businesses, church groups and service clubs that can commit to providing Meals-On-Wheels drivers for one route, one day a week for an entire year or longer.
- Requirements: Two people weekly to deliver a regular Meals-On-Wheels route. At least one volunteer must be at least 18 years old, have a valid driver’s license, provide their own vehicle and have current auto insurance: must pass state background check with WSP. Commitment minimum for 1 year or longer.
- Hours: 10:30 a.m. until noon at Bayview Site, 11:30AM until 1:00PM at Coupeville Site, 11:45AM until 1:30PM at Oak Harbor Site 11:00AM – 12:30PM at the Camano Center.
Volunteer Meal Site Helper or Volunteer Meal Site Coordinator
Help to pack meals in coolers for Meals-On-Wheels drivers before they arrive. At dining room sites, make coffee, set tables, serve lunches, and help clean up. A meal site coordinator prepares site for serving lunch, assure good food quality, checks temperatures, bookkeeping, counting donations, and some recordkeeping.
- Requirements: must be at least 14 years old and pass state background check with WSP. Commitment for minimum of 3 months.
- Hours: Flexible shifts from 8 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.
Meal Site Greeter
Orient new participants to the center and the meals program. Warmly welcome and help them feel at home in a new setting and introduce to other diners.
- Requirements: likes to meet new people and like social networking. Commitment for minimum of 3 months.
- Hours: 11AM – 12:30AM
Family Caregiver Support
Looking for a volunteer “Powerful Tools For Caregivers” facilitator. We would like a volunteer trainer to co-teach our 6 week class once per quarter. The class itself is 2 hours long + setup/cleanup.
- Requirements: Experience as a family caregiver or experience in social work is helpful.
Help others to understand Medicare, connect with your community, and meet new friends! We offer volunteer positions for all interests and schedules.
- Requirements: No experience necessary, we will train.
Let Us Know You Are Interested In Volunteering
Tell us a little about yourself and what you’re interested in by filling-out and submitting the online form below. Alternatively, you can call the South Whidbey Center to let them know you are interested in volunteering. Once we receive your information, we’ll contact you shortly to discuss volunteer opportunities.